Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving French Onion String Beans

So a few years ago I tried to make a string bean recipe that had shallots on it and let me tell you the strings bean were all gone! Everyone love it. But what was left on everyone's place were the shallots. Lesson learned. The following year I made a string bean recipe from a recipe book I have and I've actually posted it on my blog under the Thanksgiving tab, but it's too simple and basic - not really the traditional feeling of Thanksgiving. The last 2 years my made the string beans - but this year it didn't turn out. This mean it's my turn to make them. Here is what I've put together as my taste tester before next November's Turkey Day!!

Thanksgiving French Onion String Beans

1. 2 lbs. string beans (fresh- cut at the stems and washed)
2. 2 tbsp. butter
3. 3 small onions - sliced
4. 1 tbsp. flour
5. 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
6. 3/4 cup of soy milk or milk (I don't mix meat and dairy together and since I make this for Thanksgiving I use soy)
7. dash of pepper, garlic

1. cook the string beans for 5 minutes in water
2. drain and cut into thirds.
3. mix the cream of mushroom soup and milk together
4. heat the butter in a pan and add the onion slices and french them until their soft - add the flour and brown them and allow the get hard and fried looking
5. pour the green beans into the baking dish - mix in the mushroom and milk mixture
6. sprinkle some pepper and garlic on top. Then add the onions
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes - add some bread crumbs and bake an additional 10 minutes




No comments: