Thursday, October 4, 2012

French Onion Soup

Last Sunday I was busy preparing for the Jewish new year - Rosh Hashanah. Rosh Hashanah is two days (four meals) and normally we have company for at least one of the meals, sometimes even two or three. This year we had company only one night, but still it was nice. In honor of the holiday I made French Onion Soup - which if I may say so myself was amazing! Everyone at the table loved it and EVERYONE had seconds, and something tells me if they didn't know that there more food coming they would have had thirds and maybe even fourths. Yes it was that delicious. I therefore decided I needed to share it with all of you lovely people.

French Onion Soup
6 medium yellow onions
8 tbsp. of butter or margarine
4 tbsp. of whole wheat flour
7 1/2 cups (60oz) of vegetable broth
(Optional: shredded cheese- yes most people do this but I find that it is best without it!!)

1. slice the onions in slices into rings
2. melt the butter and then add the onions and cook the onions until they're browned and basically cooked - about 15 minutes
3. add 4 tbsp. of whole wheat flour and stir until mixed in and aren't able to see it anymore- about 7 minutes.
4. in a large pot, pour the vegetable broth and then add the onion blend.
5. simmer covered for 30 minutes

This soup is best when it is made in the morning and then served at night, just a little cooking tip from the me to you.

Serve warm and Enjoy!!
Yummy!!

No comments: